CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, August 9, 2009

My birthday & the Watermelon Festival

So I decided on my birthday I wanted to go to the Watermelon Festival in rush springs. This is the giant sign they leave out year round, and we pass it when we go through Rush Springs on our way to Duncan to visit Alan's family, and I always say I want to go, but we never do. So this year, I wanted to go!



Alan usually gets off pretty eary on saturday by like 9am, but the delivery truck with his bread on it was running late from denton, and he couldn't start as early as normal, so he ended up working late and couldn't go with us. :( And Bourbon was at his dad's for the weekend, his weekend fell on my birthday last year too. :( But Jamie came with me. My neice Karli had spent the last 2 nights with us, and we were meeting her family there to give her back as well.


I was expecting a little small town, country charm, festival with lots of farmers selling produce, tons of watermelon and watermelon products around, maybe a hay ride, a crafts bazaar, stuff like that. But there was a giant carnival area, tons of booths selling stuff, a car, truck & motorcycle show, and one place selling watermlon slush and one place selling watermelon by the slice. Which the "slice" was actually a watermelon cut into 4ths, a giant quarter of a watermelon! They were selling these for $1 a slice, and my nephew Landon (who's 20, so he's not a little guy) ate 12 of them while he was there!!!! That's 3 whole watermelons!!!! Crazy!!

But, it seemed more like just a festival, not a watermelon festival!





There were rows and rows of booths where people were selling arts & crafts, homemade goods, toys, purses,clothes, etc. Kind of like a swap meet or a craft show, but there were all kinds of different things there. I love looking at all of those kinds of things!





They had a ton of playground equipment, and we stopped and played for a bit









They had several monster trucks, and a car & motercycle show going on





The prize winning watermelon for largest melon. It was like 132 lbs or something like that!!





Watermelon slush! Which actually turned out to just be watermelon juice on ice, but it was still yummy.









The seed spitting contest





The kids rode a couple of rides











Alan's mom, and sister met us out there. It was hot, but lots of fun!





Our haul! We stopped at a little farm stand after we left the festival and we got a giant watermelon, a cantelope, and a cross between a honeydew melon & a cantelope, which I am excited to try!




Yum! Rush springs watermelon!





Starla helps put the candles on my cake. If you count the candles, you will see that I am 19.... :)



I have such wonderful family and friends! Look at all the great gifts I got!! And this wasn't even all of them, some of them, like the awesome scrapbook kit Melissa got me, and the fun basket Kristal gave me, were already broke into and put to good use before this picture was taken!! My wonderful Hubby got me the Paula Deen 10 piece pan set!! I can't wait to use them! And Jamie got me a ticket to the "Little Shop of Horrors" musical, I can't wait to go!! Thanks so much to all my amazing friends and family who spoiled me rotten on my birthday!



No comments:

Post a Comment