It didn't take me long to branch out from just notes, although it's been fun finding cute little notes, and stationary and cards and such to leave for them. But I also am always on the look out for little toys and treats to put in there. I used to just leave stuff in there randomly, but I've been in a schedule for the last several months. I leave something every mon., wed. and fri. mornings. They get up and check their mailboxes and get so excited.
Sometimes I leave gum or candy (Harry Potter Chocolate frogs and bloodpops have been a big success recently!)
I came across a sticker book and little packages of these things called go-go crazy bones a couple of months ago at wal-greens when I was looking for little treats. They were cheap, and small, and seemed perfect for the mailboxes, so I grabbed up each boy a book and a couple packages of the guys. I left the book first, before any of the guys, and they weren't real impressed with it, but I bit curious about what they were. Bourbon even tried to give his away to a neighborhood boy who didn't want it. He said it looked stupid and he didn't want it. I knew as soon as he saw the little guys though, he would change his mind, so I just left his book out on the table for him. A few days later when they got their first package of guys, sure enough Bourbon was like "Hey where's my book?"
Now we have an army! These are just Roman's, Bourbon has just as many!
There are like 80 different guys, and each guy comes in 5 different colors, so obviously it is something that you can collect forever and not get all of them, lol. The regular package contains 3 little guys and stickers for them to put in the sticker book. You can buy super packages that contain like 4 or 5 packages, or a tin full of them. You can get the special collectors bag for them (which Roman got for his birthday). This is just series 1 too. I googled them, and it seems they hit the UK about a year or so ago and took off in a flash, kids take them to school and play with them and it is giant there. They were just released in the US in September, so I guess I just lucked onto them when they first arrived. At first they were only at wal-greens, but now I have seen them at target, wal-mart and toys-r-us.
But not only can you collect them, but the book has rules for like half a dozen different games to play with them. They are based on some game back in ancient times when they really did play with small animal bones, which is why it is called 'crazy bones'.
Bourbon, unfortunately refuses to play them with Roman, or even trade when he has doubles of the little guys. He likes to be mean to Roman, I wish I could get him to be a kinder big brother, but I guess that's just how siblings work. And Roman was dying to play and trade th go-go's, so in an effort to get him someone to play with, we got our friend Ari some for his birthday (hee hee, and Kristal got to join in on the collecting fun with him!) and thankfully Ari enjoyed them! So he & Roman got to play a bit at a get together, and we are looking forward to more play dates. Maybe we can get some more of our friends to get hooked on them too.....

don't get sucked in, i tell yoU!! j/k. ari loves them and noah's fast on his heels. they really are cute and something besides video games and movies for the boys to be into. we're working on making them to catch on in the states!
ReplyDelete