Friday, June 05, 2009
Friday night ramblings.....
Current mood: blissful
So I ran across this quote on facebook and liked it: We have a path, it's rocky and full of cracks and turns. We choose not how we fall but how we struggle down our roads.We may trip and stumble but Nobody knows truly why we walk the paths we do
I am currently working on a chocolate masterpiece! I've done all I can do tonight, and tomorrow I get to put it all together. It's called a Chocolate Extravaganza cake, but I always modify a bit when I make things and add stuff here and there. I made it all from scratch, because I am a culinary goddess. It is going to be a dark chocolate cake, with layers of dark chocolate and whipped chocolate ganache, a slightly crunchy chocolate meringue center, frosted with whipped chocolate ganache, and chocolate curls. I also made some "chocolate plastic" (kinda like edible playdough!) so I can handmake some chocolate roses to put on top as well. It's for my sister-in-laws birthday. I get so excited when I get to create fun and intricate cakes. I am going to have a sliver of it tomorrow, but will probably not eat my fruits or melba toasts at my 2 meals just to try to off set it some!! lol. I can't wait to get it all together tomorrow. I am sure I will have pics.
I am dying to make pies. I got this new pie cookbook, and it's full of "womanly wisdom" as it says, and gives a little story about a person with each recipe, and most of them are set back in the 50's or whatever, when life was so much simpler, and it is just rich with good stories. Sometimes I think I so could have been a June Cleaver of the 60's, with my apron on in the kitchen. Taking care of people, nurturing people, feeding people and spoiling people are my favorite things to do, and I feel like those are my purposes in life. It's what I do. But, I got off point, there are SOOO many pies in this book that I want to try out! So I really think this summer, I am going to bring some old-fashioned hospitality and good-will back to life and deliver homemade pies to my friends!! Which just makes me all giddy and excited. I know, I'm odd. I love making things for people, especially if it is food!! So don't be surprised if you get a pie sometime in the near future.......
I was so happy to have my friends over for dinner last night, I wish we could do that more often. I made steaks with herbed butter, garlic roasted potato wedges, stuffed mushrooms, beer bread with honey butter, sweet corn on the cob, and peanutbutter brownies with peanut butter frosting! I had so much fun preparing the meal and getting to share it with friends, that it didn't even bother me in the least to not get to eat any of it! I did get a 4 oz steak (sans butter!), but that was all of the meal that I could enjoy. However I did freeze a brownie for later consumption...... I have no idea why I get so much joy out of making large meals for people, but I do. I enjoy the entire process. It just makes me happy. So anytime anyone wants to come over for dinner, just let me know!!
Currently reading:
Sweety Pies: An Uncommon Collection of Womanish Observations, with Pie
By Patty Pinner
Release date: 2007-09-18
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Tonya, you are an amazing person!! Your husband, children, family and friends are so very, very blessed to have you!
ReplyDelete