Monday, April 13, 2009
OSAT
Current mood: stressed
So my life this week is going to be all about studying and prepping for the OSAT on Saturday. Which is the Oklahoma Subject Area Test that all teachers have to take. Because I am an elementary education major, I have 2 tests to take. The first one has Reading/Language Arts and Social Studies and the second one has Math. Science, Health & Fitness and Visual Arts. They each have 50 multiple choice questions, and I have 4 hours to take them. The first one also has an essay where it gives me a scenario about a student with some sort of reading difficulties and I have to write an essay about what they are struggling with, and come up with at least 2 reading strategies that I would use for that student and why. Now the competencies (what is going to be on the test) for reading are like understand phonological skills and strategies related to reading, word identification, vocabulary development and reading comprehension. Great, no big deal. Math are things like understand mathematical communication, understand skills and concepts related to number and numeration, understand and apply the principles and properties of linear algebraic relations and functions, geometry, measurement, statistics, etc. etc. Good concrete things I can refresh and study for, no big deal. Science are things like understand the interrelationships among the physical and life sciences and the connections among science, technology and society, and understand physical and life science, apply inquiry skills , etc etc. Logical reasoning, I can handle that. P.E and Art? Not a big deal, those are pretty simple things. Now Social Studies, try understanding georgraphic concepts and phenomena, interrelationships of geography, society and culture, major ideas, eras themes, developments, turning points, and political principles of Oklahoma, the United States AND THE WORLD! What?!?! You mean I need to know absolutley everything there is to know about oklahoma, the U.S AND the WORLD?!?! How broad is that? I don't even know what to focus on in trying to study. I'm like reading the cliff notes version of history since the begining of time, it's ridiculous. Because I have no idea what it going to be on the test, half of this time spent sudying for it is most likely going to be in vain and a big waste of time, but I hope in reading everything I can, I MIGHT just hit upon the information I will need to answer whatever questions I get. It's nerve wracking. There are so many people at school that are on their 3rd attempt at taking this test, I'm just scared of not passing. Not only does it cost $60 for each one, so $120 total, but if you don't pass, you gotta pay it again and do it all over again! I have to pass before I student teach, which gives me 2 more test dates after this one to pass if by chance I don't on this try, but I REALLY want to pass this time. So any and every spare minute I get this week is going to be trying to cram history into my brain, while refreshing all of the other subjects as well. Talk about fun. I'm kinda stressing out about it, can you tell? ;)
Any of you praying folks, say a little prayer for me that I study the right things, and get the right questions that I have studied for, and that I pass. Thanks. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

WHAT?!?! sheesh. all i can say is....i'll pray.
ReplyDeletehard.
You can do it girl!
ReplyDeleteMy prayers are going out for you!
ReplyDelete