Wednesday, April 22, 2009
The universe is such a strange place.....
Current mood: eccentric
I have a professor, who is a Jazz musician, and he teaches Educational Assessment. He's funny, always cracking jokes and messing around. It's a very laid back class, and we have open book tests and group tests, and just one of classes that you never stress out about. He's always giving advice for the 'real world', likes to give 'pimpin' 101' advice to the 4 guys in there. He's very entertaining, flamboyant. I wondered about his sexuality for a moment, but he's got kids, and is engaged to a female for his 2nd marriage, he's just very theatrical. Always on stage, always got jokes. Anyways. The dr's recently discovered some masses in his throat, and they did biposies last week to see if they are cancerous. He is going to have to have surgery regardless to remove them, which is of course scary but also for the fact that he sings and plays jazz instruments. So cutting into his diaphram may be detrimental to that. Anyways, someone in class got the idea that we should bring in food and cards today to just show him some love. So I baked muffins this morning and brought them to class. We had quite a big spread of food. When he got there, he was just stunned speechless about how nice we were and how touched he was. He also went on to say how the universe works in mysterious ways, and how things that happen today are put into action from yesterday and how what we do today puts forward what will happen tomorrow, etc. He said just yesterday during a pre-maritial counseling session with his fiancee and pastor, he said he wasn't sure he was making an impact on those he is supposed to be teaching, and that he needed a sign that he was doing what he should. He took our gesture as a sign and said it was just crazy how these things worked out. The class period went on, and then we showed up an e-mail he got from a cousin, called "I can't find a job!" and it was just tons of pics of people with tons of facial percings, facial tattoos, giant ears that have been gauged out, nostrils that have been gauged to have big holes in them, implants to look like horns, etc. All the while he was giving the speech about how we present ourselves puts out energy into the world, and if we present ourselves in negative ways we are going to get negative energy back into our life, and how as teachers we need to think before we do crazy things to ourselves and how we are influential to students, how we need to present ourselves in professional manners, etc. He kept making prolonged eye contact with me, so I have no idea if he was trying to make sure I got his point, or just wanting to make sure I wasn't taking offense, or what. I thought it was quite amusing though, speaking of the way the universe works, that I JUST blogged about why can't I have my peircings and be a teacher, and here I get a lecture from a professor about being professional and not having facial peircings. Really?! I almost started feeling guilty, like I must be immature and umprofessional to think it would be ok to be a teacher and be pierced, but then I thought, no way. Why can't we show children that people that are pierced aren't freaks, but they are regular every day people, and that the world needs everyone to go round, and people shouldn't judge based on silly things like a piece of metal. I mean I'm not talking about major crazy things like implants and having your whole face covered in tattos like he was showing. But I really don't think a little ring in your nose qualifies as being a freak. Maybe the lip is a bit much, I don't know. I just don't see it as being any more unporfessional than big earrings or gaudy necklaces. They are just accessories, not statements saying I want to be a thug or deviant. I didn't say anything about it, and he didn't directly say anything to me. Afterward class though some of my classmates were like "All I could think of was you!! Poor Tonya!" Lol. I really didn't feel like I was being picked on, I just found it amusing that it happened right after I blogged about it.
I can't wait until this summer! We went downtown tonight and got our summer movie pass for harkins theater.( http://www.harkinstheatres.com/SummerMovieFun09/SMF-Bricktown09-8.5x11.pdf )They show 10 kids movies, 1 a week, for $5. If you don't buy a pass to see them all, it is $2 a show. But $5 covers them all! It is mon-fri at 9:45am. You pick which day you want to come, and then every week on that day you get to go see a movie! They aren't 'new' movies, but we haven't seen them all, so it works out. We picked Wed. so if you want to join us this summer, you should go buy a Wed. pass! They sell out pretty quickly though (at least they did last year!), so I would do it soon. Wed. will be our official movie day. I figure after the movie we will play in the water in bricktown (the spot that has the water shooting out of the ground! Lots of free fun!) or play on the canal or whatever. I love that we will have our zoo pass, our omniplex pass, our pool pass, our summer movie pass, and the free waterpark here in MWC. Between those and the library summer reading program that we do, and all the other free summer stuff we can find, we can have stuff to do every single day and not need any cash! Woo hoo!! We will have a weekly zoo day, a weekly pool day..... etc. I can't wait.
I think we might get to head to texas to the Scarborough Faire for mother's day too!! Woo hoo! I have always wanted to go there, but I never have. So I asked Alan if we could go for Mother's day, and he said that was cool! I am excited. We will probably drive down there Saturday and stay in a hotel and then spend sunday at the fair, and then come home that night. Yeah!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

SO GLAD you get to skip town and have some fun!! also SO GLAD you told me about the movie festival. still debating if noah will sit through the movies, but hey, for that price even if we watch half it's still a good deal:) keep us posted on all this summer fun cuz we are gonna want to join you!!
ReplyDeleteoh! and i forgot to comment on piercings. i love that you break stereotypes and you look beautiful doing it. keep being your wonderful, respectful, gorgeous self and people will start to wonder if the next "pierced" person they see is a delinquent, or maybe their new best friend?
ReplyDelete