CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Spray Paint Artist

I went to my special Ed class last week to watch a a 13 year old spray paint artist with aspergers. The news 9 guy was there to watch too. Trevor was awesome, and it was soo good for these kids to see someone "like them" doing something productive and wonderful with his life, to let them know no matter what, they can do whatever they put their minds to. :)



This is Katie. I was so drawn to her! She has autism. She went from not acknowledging me at all, to barely looking me in the eyes when I talked to her, to getting excited when I got to class and waving and smiling at me! Melted my heart. I'm gonna miss her.



I let Katie take pictures with my camera, she was fascinated with it. This is Tyler, who sits next to her. He has Autism too, and is very resistant to change. He wouldn't hardly look at me much less talk to me, and would cover up his paper and look away from my direction if I came by to help him, lol.



Katie liked taking pictures. :)



The special Ed class gathered around the watch Trevor. It was very cool to watch!



He was amazing!



Trevor watched a street artist doing it in Texas while they were on vacation, and decided he wanted to do it. They researched it for almost a year before finding a guy in California that agreed to teach him. Trevor & his mom went there for about a week or so and he took all day classes everyday with the artist, and learned how. He has been doing it for about 2 years now. He has an opportunity to go to a special art camp this summer, but it costs $4000. So they have been doing fundraisers. He has a fundraiser in Ardmore on Sat May 30th all day, where he will be selling his paintings ($20). I think I am going to take the kids out there and let them watch him, may a day trip out of it, I think they will enjoy it! Plus I want to help Trevor get to camp! :)

You can check out his website at: http://www.aycoxart.com/

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I'd love to have one of his pieces in my home. He's pretty awesome. After watching this video I just want to go up and hug him.
    Thanks for sharing. Let me know if he's in the area again.

    ReplyDelete